Friday, October 1, 2010

Decision to Form

My first ever blog! We’re hoping that more and more people will get interested in what’s going on here at WEF and my blog will be the place where they can come and find out. For this first one, I figured I’d go back and tell you how it all got started.
You might wonder why a 15 year old high school student would decide to start a non-profit foundation. Well, I didn’t do it alone. My dad is a financial advisor so he spends his days giving advice about money and investing to his clients and he is constantly giving me tips about money at home. One day he was telling me about how important it is to get good advice when you invest your money. At the time I was preoccupied and frankly wasn’t interested in listening to him, so I said “Dad, I never have to worry about getting good advice because I have you!” This was my desperate attempt to end the conversation and continue on with what I wanted to do. But from my statement stemmed a long conversation between myself and my dad about how not everyone has a father that is a financial advisor to teach them about money. We think that it’s unfair that they don’t teach about it in schools. It is one of the most important things a person ever deals with in their life and they don’t teach it to you. My dad said he had thought about starting a foundation to teach kids about money himself but that he never had enough time. The more we talked about it the more we thought it needed to be done so we decided that if we did it together, between the two of us we could spend enough time to do it. We thought up the name “Wealth Education Foundation” and that’s when we began planning all the things we needed to do to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment